When Should I Have My Commercial Boiler Serviced – BPS Facilities Management
Why are we talking about a Commercial Boiler Service at the start of spring when the brighter, warmer weather is finally here you might ask. Having your boiler serviced annually is really important to keep it working as you need it to as well as it working safely and efficiently. Contrary to popular belief you don’t have to have your boiler serviced in Autumn or at the start of winter, it actually doesn’t matter what time of year it is serviced as long as it is. There are many benefits to having your commercial boiler serviced now and our fully qualified Gas Safe Registered Engineers at BPS are on hand to service, repair or plan and install your commercial heating system whenever you need us.
What are the benefits of having a commercial boiler service annually?
- It will run more efficiently, reducing the likelihood of your energy costs increasing
- It will be safe
- It will be combusting fuel safely and efficiently, minimising the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
- It will be less likely to break down, leaving you with no hot water or heating when you need it most
- It can reduce the likelihood of expensive replacement parts being needed as a service can resolve problems with your boiler before they become an issue
- It will keep your boiler within its manufacturer warranty
- It will increase the lifespan of your boiler, reducing the likelihood of you having to replace it sooner than you need to
There is no bad time of the year to have your commercial boiler serviced and the most important bit is to ensure you have it done at least once a year. If you are a business owner or landlord then you are legally required to ensure your boiler is working safely and efficiently and you need a certificate to show you have had it done as well as carried out any work or repairs that needed to be done.
If you have just moved into a property and the previous owner or tenant hasn’t passed on a gas safety or service certificate then it’s a good idea to arrange your own service. This will give you peace of mind that everything is working as it should, it is safe and is working efficiently to ensure your energy bills are no more than they need to be.
You should only ever use a Gas Safe Registered Commercial Engineer to service, repair or install a gas boiler as they have the qualifications and experience to ensure it is done in a safe and compliant manner. You can find details of the Gas Safe Register here.
At BPS we have a team of gas safe registered employed engineers and we will ensure your boiler is working efficiently, is in safe working order and will book your annual boiler service in advance. We offer a 24/7 365 day a year emergency breakdown service to our customers and this gives you peace of mind that you won’t ever be without heating or hot water for a long period of time.
What are the benefits of having a commercial boiler service in spring or summer?
- Having a commercial boiler service in the summer will ensure your boiler is in good working order and you always have hot water through the warmer months
- When the temperature starts to drop and it is getting colder your boiler will have already been serviced and you know it will be working safely and efficiently for when you most need it
- Gas engineers are always very busy in September and October servicing boilers so having yours serviced at the start of summer means they will have more availability to come out to you
- Replacement boiler parts will be more easily sourced in spring and summer
If you have any concerns about your boiler not working as it should then it’s really important to get it checked out by a gas safe registered engineer as soon as you can. You should never wait for your annual service as it could be unsafe and over time what might have been a small fault can become worse, damaging your boiler and costing you more to resolve.
Even if you don’t need your heating on in the summer it’s always advisable to turn it on once a month to check it is working, as well as giving it a run through so that it is all in good working order when you need it when the temperature drops.
What are the signs my commercial boiler needs servicing?
It hasn’t been serviced in the last 12 months
The main reason you should arrange for your boiler to be serviced is if it hasn’t had a service in the last 12 months, or if you have moved into a property and there is no service record or gas safety certificate for the last 12 months.
Your energy costs are increasing
Keep an eye on your energy costs, it’s easy not to notice changes but if they are increasing abnormally then this can be a sure sign your boiler needs a service and it isn’t working as efficiently as it should be.
Your property doesn’t feel as warm
If your property doesn’t feel as warm as it usually does and you haven’t made any changes to your heating settings and timings then it may be in a need of a service. A qualified heating engineer will service your boiler and also check your radiators are working as they should be.
You have no heating
This is an obvious one but if you don’t have any heating at all it can just be that your boiler needs a service rather than a completely new one installed or a massive parts and repair bill.
You have no hot water
Again no hot water may mean there is a repair that is needed on your boiler, or it may just need to be serviced. A heating engineer will know all the things they need to check to find out where the problem is so they can resolve it for you.
The pilot light has gone out and won’t relight
A sign that your boiler isn’t working as it should do is if the pilot light has gone out, it won’t relight, or if it does relight but goes out intermittently. If this is happening then a qualified gas safe registered heating engineer will know what needs to be checked. If there are problems with the ignition source for the boiler this can result in carbon monoxide levels increasing which is extremely dangerous. Speak to your gas engineer about this and they may recommend you switching off your boiler until they can come out to you to check it is safe and service it for you.
You can smell gas
If you smell gas then switch off your mains gas supply straight away, open all of your windows and don’t switch on any lights or ignite anything until your gas engineer has checked what the problem is. An annual service will check your gas supply, gas pressure and pipework and will often let you know issues before they arise.
There are strange noises
Strange noises coming from your boiler when it is starting up or running indicate it needs a service, or it needs to be checked over. Groaning, humming, buzzing, creaking, whistling or any unusual noises can mean you have an issue with your boiler system and it needs to be checked over before it breaks down completely or results in damage to your system which is expensive to repair.
Leaking from your boiler system or pipework
If you are noticing water or even small leaks or damp areas near your boiler or radiators then you should book it in to be serviced straight away as these can often lead to full leaks or burst pipes which can damage your property and belongings. A qualified gas engineer will come out and assess where the leak or damp is coming from.
It may seem strange to book your boiler in for its annual service in spring or in summer but there are many advantages to having it done at this time of the year. Gas engineers will have more availability at these times and will be able to quickly service, source boiler parts and repair any potential issues before they arise. If there are any major issues with your boiler and it needs to be shut down until it is resolved then spring or summer is a better time of year to have no heating or hot water compared to winter.
Knowing you can turn your heating on as soon as the temperature starts to drop and it has been fully serviced and ready to go is a great feeling, as well as not having to go through trying to book a gas engineer at their busiest time of the year, and, or being without heating at all.
BPS Facilities – Commercial & Industrial – Gas, Electrical & Mechanical Engineers
We are an independent company and our excellent and professional reputation has been built on providing outstanding services for Businesses and Commercial properties throughout Wales, the South West of England and the M4 Corridor.
We offer planned and reactive building maintenance services to a wide range of customers in a variety of business sectors and you can rely on us to keep your business property in shape whilst you do what your best at.
We have a team of professional, qualified, polite and proficient staff and we offer a complete engineering, repair and maintenance service for commercial and industrial companies, 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.
Why Choose BPS Facilities?
There is a huge amount of time that is taken and needed inhouse to manage the upkeep of a commercial business or property. This often takes away time from managers which could be better spent doing the job they are employed to do. More and more companies are now moving away from having an employed general handyman who can do bits and pieces as and when and are moving to a fully integrated, cost-effective facilities management solution.
At BPS we have the skills and trades to cover all aspects of your properties upkeep and maintenance and will take away the time and worry that it takes up.
What are the benefits of our Facilities Management Services?
- Cost-effective and reduced property maintenance costs
- Timely and planned servicing and repairs
- Essential safety checked planned and carried out when they are needed
- Monthly management costs can be planned into your budget
- Skilled and qualified tradespeople for each job
- A safe and effective working environment in line with all Health & Safety legislation
- Managers can do the job they are employed to do rather than arrange, plan and manage contractors for repair and maintenance jobs
- A professional looking property inside and out
A well-maintained property creates a safe working environment, reduces energy costs and ensures all areas of the business can function smoothly and efficiently and we are confident our services will add to your business model.
We will come out and learn about your business and property, and we will propose a bespoke maintenance and service provision to match your business and property’s needs. At BPS we understand that no business or property is the same and we take all of these factors into consideration. We will ask you about the services you want to be included in your maintenance contract with us, as well as discussing how we will work with you to keep your property safe and up together and your business running smoothly.
Our success relies on each of our team members providing excellent service to our customers every time. Our motivated colleagues are fundamental to our continued growth and success and we are committed to giving our people the opportunity to be the best they can be with development plans and ongoing training provided for everyone.
BPS Facilities Services
- Commercial Boiler Services
- Boiler Installations
- Boiler Servicing and Maintenance
- Boiler Repair
- Boiler Control System Installation, Repair and Maintenance
- Commercial Heating Services
- Gas Heating Installation
- Gas Heating Servicing and Maintenance
- Gas Heating Repair
- Commercial Plumbing Services
- Gas Plumbing and Pipework Installation
- Gas Plumbing and Pipework Servicing and Maintenance
- Gas Plumbing and Pipework Repair
- Commercial Air Conditioning & HVAC Services
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Installation
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Servicing and Maintenance
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Repair
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Control System Installation, Repair and Maintenance
- Commercial Electrical Services
- Electrical Installation
- Electrical Servicing and Maintenance
- Electrical Repair
- Electrical Services Testing
- Building & Construction Services
- Building and Construction
- Building and Construction Servicing and Maintenance
- Building and Construction Repair
- Commercial Roofing Services
- Roofing Installation
- Roofing Servicing and Maintenance
- Roofing Repair
- Catering, Kitchen Equipment and Refrigeration Services
- Laundry & Textile Care Services
- Building Management System Services
- Fire Alarms and Access Control Services
Our maintenance packages ensure your systems and appliances are fully serviced and certified when they need to be giving you peace of mind, along with a smooth and hassle-free, dependable operation.
Our team of gas engineers, joiners, electricians, engineers and construction engineers have the skills needed to make sure any project, service or repair runs smoothly, efficiently and on time with no need for anyone within your business having to find and manage subcontractors.
Contact us today on 029 2048 4114 if you need a Commercial Boiler Service, or if you are searching for a Facilities Management Company for your business anywhere in Wales the South West of England and the M4 Corridor.