Facilities Management Company FAQ’s discussed by BPS Facilities
Having a good and professional Facilities Management Company with many different services available for your business 24 hours a day, 365 days a year will take the time, stress and worry away from you having to look after your commercial property, allowing you to do what you do best and run your business. Our Facilities Management Company FAQ’s will tell you everything you need to know and what to consider when you are looking for a Facilities Management Company to look after your property’s maintenance needs.
What is Facilities Management?
A Facilities Management Company also referred to as FM, offers varying services which look after and maintain your properties structure, hardware systems and appearance. A Facilities management company will service, maintain and repair hardware facilities like central heating, air conditioning, electrics, lighting, roofs, gardens, and carry out building construction and decor.
Facilities management is often necessary for public organisations like; schools and government as well as private organisations when it is more cost-effective to have a specialist company carry out the maintenance of a commercial property or business than employ direct trades on a contract basis when you need them, or on a permanent full-time basis.
What types of Facilities Management are there?
There are two main types of facilities management; Hard Facilities Management and Soft Facilities Management. Hard Facilities Management refers to services relating to the actual structure of a property and the systems that make it work effectively and remain safe. Soft Facilities Management refers to services that overlap with property management, such as pest control, cleaning, grounds maintenance, and security.
What property types does a Facilities Management Company manage?
A facilities management company manages a commercial business or property’s facilities and these can include; manufacturing and industrial buildings, office buildings, retail centres and parks, sporting facilities, hospitals, hotels, arenas and many more. All these facilities can either be private or public sector organisations.
What does a Facilities Management Company do?
A facilities management company will manage servicing, upkeep and maintenance of a building and its hardware and respond to environmental, security, health and safety issues all of which enables the owner and management team to operate efficiently, effectively and safely without the need to plan and manage these aspects themselves.
What are the benefits of effective Facilities Management?
Many companies are now realising the time that is taken and needed inhouse to manage the upkeep of a commercial business or property, and that this takes a huge amount of time away from managers that could be better spent doing the job they are employed to do. More and more companies are moving away from having an employed general handyman who can do bits and pieces as and when, and moving to a fully integrated, cost-effective Facilities management service company which has the skills and trades to cover all aspects of a properties upkeep and maintenance. Benefits include:
- Cost-effective property maintenance
- Timely and planned hardware servicing and repairs
- Monthly management contract costs which can be planned into budget spend
- Skilled tradespeople for each job
- A safe and effective working environment in line with all Health & Safety legislation
- Managers can effectively do the job they are employed to do rather than arrange and plan contractors, repairs and maintenance services
- A well-maintained property creates a safe working environment, reduces energy costs and ensures all areas of the business can function smoothly and efficiently.
What services does a good Facilities Management Company offer?
A full range of Commercial Boiler Services, Commercial Heating Services, Commercial Plumbing Services, Commercial Air Conditioning & HVAC Services, Commercial Electrical Services, Building & Construction Services and Commercial Roofing Services. All of these services are vital to your business running efficiently and your property being safe for its employees, customers and suppliers.
What are Facilities Maintenance activities?
Facilities Maintenance activities include keeping structures and infrastructure in full and safe operating condition in a routine, scheduled, or anticipated way preventing failures and/or degradation. A Facilities management company will take care of all of this for you from annual services to new installations, maintenance and repairs.
Can you have a Facilities Management Contract bespoke to your business and property?
A good and professional facilities management company will come out and learn about your business and property so they can propose a maintenance contract that matches your business and property’s needs. No business or property is the same; an older property will require more maintenance and repairs compared to a new and more modern commercial property so all of these factors need to be taken into consideration. They will ask you about the services you want including in your contract with them and how they will work with you to keep your property and business running smoothly.
What are the 3 main types of maintenance?
- Preventive Maintenance – If there is a fault or issue that may occur in the future, eg. annual boiler services and hardware services that will ensure a system is running in an efficient and safe working order
- Periodic Maintenance – Property maintenance that needs to be carried out on a regular basis to ensure it remains in a good and safe condition
- Corrective Maintenance – Repairs when there are issues with a property, its hardware or decor
Why is a Facilities Management Company vital for your business?
A Facilities management company will manage the 3 types of maintenance for your property and as a result; you don’t have to source the right tradespeople to come out and service, maintain or repair a system or any aspect of your property. Professional facility management companies will offer an emergency repair service as part of your contract and this takes away the hassle of emergencies with any plumbing, heating or electrics and will ensure they are repaired quickly and efficiently so there is minimal impact to the operational running of your business.
A well-maintained property creates a safe working environment, reduces energy costs and ensures all areas of the business can function smoothly and efficiently.
Will I save money using a Facilities Management Company?
By allowing your team to focus on their primary function and tasks rather than your businesses facilities it will operate more effectively and efficiently and therefore save you money in the long run. A Facilities management company is more cost-effective than having a general maintenance person permanently employed and ensures you have the right skilled and qualified trades available when you need them.
How is the performance of a Facilities Management Company measured?
When you are discussing a maintenance contract with a Facilities management company you should always ask them what their KPI’s (Key Performance Measures) are for their other contracts and how these are reviewed. This is critical to ensure you get the right level of service at the right time so any repairs are completed quickly with minimal impact to your business resulting in your being happy that your building is being well looked after and maintained effectively and safely in a timely manner.
How long does a Facilities Management Contract last?
A facilities management contract can last anything from 12 months to 5 years and it really depends on your requirements. You may want to initially start with a few services with a view to adding more later down the line if you are happy with the service they are providing so you should always look for flexibility in the contract you agree.
What happens if I want to make changes to my contract?
A professional facilities management company will work closely with you to learn and understand your business and everything they need to know about your property. Your contract should be reviewed regularly in the first 3 months and if it is going well and you are happy with how it is going then you could move to bi-monthly contract performance review meetings. It all depends on yours and your business needs and how big your property and grounds are as to how often you want to review. Your contract should be bespoke to your business and property’s individual and changing needs.
What should I look for in a Facilities Management Company?
- A professional website that details the services available
- A company that offers a broad range of services including; installations, repairs, maintenance and servicing for heating appliances, boilers, air conditioning, electrics, building & construction and roofs
- A company that employs skilled and qualified tradespeople for all the services they offer
- A company who is Gas Safe registered
- A company that offers 24/7 365 days a year emergency call-out services
- A company that has excellent customer reviews, from brand names through to smaller businesses they work with
- A company who wants to work with you, and alongside you to maintain your property to a high standard
- A company who adapts its maintenance contract to suit your business and property
- A company who sets Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and has regular performance review meetings with you to review any changes and improvements needed
- A company who has public liability insurance
- A company who is committed to the environment and focused on environmental issues when it comes to its services
About BPS Facilities
We are an independent Facilities Management Company and our excellent reputation has been built on providing quality work for Businesses and Commercial properties throughout Wales, the South West of England and the M4 Corridor.
We offer our planned and reactive building maintenance services to a wide range of customers in a variety of business sectors.
Our team of professional, qualified, polite and proficient staff offer a complete engineering, repair and maintenance service for commercial and industrial companies, 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.
Best for Service & Quality
A business based on providing great service at fair prices, one of our most important responsibilities is to offer people the best in terms of service and quality. We believe our dedication to customer satisfaction, fast and efficient services at affordable prices will be the foundation of a long-term working relationship with you.
Respect for Our Environment
As a business, we respect our environment and this is embedded in our decision making when providing our services. We are always looking for cleaner and greener ways of working, improving our environmental credentials and helping to safeguard our planet in the process. We aim to be one of the UK’s greenest contractors by reducing our impact on the environment and by working with our partners and suppliers in promoting and achieving sustainable development of the environment
Making a Positive Difference to Our Community
We want to make a positive difference to the communities that we work within and we aim to focus our resources where we can have the most impact. We run apprenticeship schemes and work in conjunction with local authorities to engage in local community reinvestment programs.
A Great Place to Work
Our continued success relies on every one of our team members providing excellent service to our customers every time. Our motivated colleagues are fundamental to our continued growth and success and we are committed to giving our people the opportunity to be the best they can be with development plans and ongoing training provided.
BPS Facilities Services
Commercial Boiler Services
- Boiler Installations
- Boiler Servicing and Maintenance
- Boiler Repair
- Boiler Control System Installation, Repair and Maintenance
Commercial Heating Services
- Gas Heating Installation
- Gas Heating Servicing and Maintenance
- Gas Heating Repair
Commercial Plumbing Services
- Gas Plumbing and Pipework Installation
- Gas Plumbing and Pipework Servicing and Maintenance
- Gas Plumbing and Pipework Repair
Commercial Air Conditioning & HVAC Services
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Installation
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Servicing and Maintenance
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Repair
- Air Conditioning and Ventilation Control System Installation, Repair and Maintenance
Commercial Electrical Services
- Electrical Installation
- Electrical Servicing and Maintenance
- Electrical Repair
- Electrical Services Testing
Building & Construction Services
- Building and Construction
- Building and Construction Servicing and Maintenance
- Building and Construction Repair
Commercial Roofing Services
- Roofing Installation
- Roofing Servicing and Maintenance
- Roofing Repair
Catering, Kitchen Equipment and Refrigeration Services
Laundry & Textile Care Services
Building Management System Services
Fire Alarms and Access Control Services
We are committed to delivering:
- A Rapid, Reputable, Responsive & Professional Service
- Dedicated Engineers on call 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Emergency Call-outs 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Our Engineers routinely fix 90% of breakdowns during their initial visit
- Planned Maintenance & Servicing for all your properties hardware
- Project Design
- Planning & Installation Services
BPS Maintenance Contracts
We offer bespoke repair and planned maintenance packages for commercial building owners and businesses, and this includes inspection, servicing, maintenance and repair and certification contracts with access to our highly reactive emergency support teams. Our maintenance packages ensure your systems and appliances are fully serviced and certified when they need to be giving you peace of mind, along with a smooth and hassle-free, dependable operation.
Our team of gas engineers, joiners, electricians, engineers and construction engineers have all the skills needed to make sure any project, service or repair runs smoothly, efficiently and on time with no need for anyone within your business having to find and manage subcontractors.
If you are searching for a Facilities Management Company anywhere in Wales the South West of England and the M4 Corridor then please give us a call on 029 2048 4114 and we will be happy to answer any questions you have or deal with any property emergency you might have.