Commercial Renovation & Development FAQ’s discussed by BPS Facilities
Many businesses and commercial properties need renovating and development and there are so many aspects to it to ensure you comply with all Health & Safety regulations and you end up with the design and layout you need and are looking for. Our Commercial Renovation & Development FAQ’s will help you with everything you need to know when embarking on a Renovation & Development project, however big or small.
What should you think about when you are considering renovating or developing a commercial property?
Any property renovation or development takes a lot of time and considerations, from planning, design through to supply, construction and work carried out whether it is a domestic or commercial property.
A commercial renovation or development is normally a bigger project than a domestic one and there are many aspects to consider which is why we would always recommend that you use an experienced commercial renovation & development company that will project manage your build from start to finish, including ensuring only qualified and experienced tradespeople are used, work is completed on time, within budget, to a high standard, to your design and specifications and that all Health & Safety regulations and Building Control processes are adhered to.
The first stage in a commercial property renovation or development is to think about why your property needs to be renovated. Common reasons will include; a change in tenancy, modernisation of the interior and exterior, building safety, amenity improvements and the need to increase energy efficiency.
Commercial Renovation & Development Questions to consider:
- If you are leasing or renting your property what permissions do you need from your landlord for the work you want to complete?
- Does the work comply with your tenancy or leasehold agreement?
- does its tenancy use need to be changed?
- Do you need an architect?
- What Building Control and Planning Processes will you need to follow?
- What experience do you have in Building Control and Planning Processes?
- What is the EPC rating of your commercial property?
- What tradespeople will you need to employ?
- What are your timescales?
- What impact is there to your business if completion timescales are not achieved?
- What is your budget?
- What is the impact of your project going over your original budget?
- Do you have the time and experience to project manage your renovation or development yourself?
What is a Commercial EPC?
Commercial Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) are energy surveys that determine how energy-efficient buildings or commercial premises are. The ratings on a commercial EPC start from G (least energy efficient) through to an A being the most energy-efficient.
It is a legal requirement to have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when a building is sold, rented or constructed. A property’s EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as they start to market a property for sale or to rent. If you are considering renting a property from a landlord or letting agent they must show you a valid EPC as it is against the law to advertise a property for rent without one.
As of April 2018, it became unlawful for a landlord to let a commercial property with an F or G EPC rating (unless there is a valid exemption).
Improving your EPC rating will decrease your commercial or business property’s energy bills and overall running costs so it is always something you should consider if you are renovating or developing a property whether you rent, lease or own it.
You must have an EPC if:
- you rent out or sell the premises
- a building under construction is finished
- there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems
You must display an EPC by fixing it to your commercial building if all these apply:
- the total useful floor area is over 500 square metres
- the building is frequently visited by the public
- an EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction
All commercial EPCs are valid for 10 years from issue.
What should your first step be with a Commercial Renovation & Development?
Think about your commercial or property or businesses use, the design and layout you want and how you want it to look inside and out when complete. You should then invite a minimum of 3 experienced and reputable Commercial Renovation & Development Companies to provide you with an overview of the services they provide, the guarantees of the work they complete and a broken down quote for the work being completed. Always advise them of the timescales for the project before you invite them in as if they may not have the resource available to complete the work in your timescales which will waste yours and their time.
You would expect them to visit your property and spend time understanding your business needs, your properties current design, layout, construction and amenities as well as the renovation and development you are looking for. They should be experts in their field and fill you with confidence with the advice that they give you.
When you have received your quotes back you can then decide if you want to project manage and employ the tradespeople you will need yourself, or which renovation & development company you want to use and this may take several tender meetings with them to get to this point.
Who should do the work involved in a commercial renovation or development?
Only qualified and experienced commercial tradespeople should be used to renovate or develop a commercial property. They will have the knowledge and experience to carry out commercial work and update or install any systems and appliances you will need as well as understanding Health & Safety regulations, planning permission rules and processes and building control as well as having the experience of working to complex designs and plans.
What are your main considerations when renovating or developing a commercial property?
The main considerations when renovating or developing a commercial property are:
- Building Control and Planning Processes
- Leasehold or rental contracts
- Whether you will project manage the renovation or development yourself (don’t underestimate the amount of time and work is involved in this)
- If you will employ a company that will oversee and manage your project from start to finish including design, planning, building control, supply, installation and finishes against your timescales and budget
Always use a professional and reputable company that you have seen the previous work they have completed and that you trust, as renovating and developing a commercial property takes time and investment and will impact how quickly you can get your business up and running or how much disruption there will be to your existing business.
What type of work is involved in a commercial renovation or development?
- Structural works
- Bricklaying, pointing
- Damp proofing, tanking
- Structural openings, structural works
- All types of roofs: dormers, flat, pitched
- Many types of roof covers: slates, tiles, resin, felt, single ply membrane (EPDM)
- Full central heating installations
- New central heating boilers and hot water cylinders
- Underfloor heating system
- Waste drainage
- Bathrooms and kitchens
- Complete rewiring
- Consumer units
- Lighting and electrical sockets
- Smart systems installation
- Home automation & control solutions
- Fire and smoke alarms
- Solar panel systems
- Bespoke furniture, shelves, cupboards
- Skirting boards and architraves
- Doors, doors installation
- Supply and installation of windows
- Custom joinery
About BPS Facilities
We offer Professional Home, Office and Industrial, Commercial Renovations in South Wales and the surrounding areas.
Our renovation, refurbishment and redevelopment experience include Government and local authority buildings, industrial to residential use, historic and graded building refurbishment work and we offer a complete property refurbishment and redevelopment service, working for a multitude of commercial, educational, private and government customers across South Wales and the surrounding areas.
We have extensive experience and the dedication of excelling in every different trade needed for the work and projects we manage. We have certifications for high quality, safe practices and trustworthiness across our service range and a long list of high profile and demanding projects.
From small building work through to initial and final design and project management of a renovation or development, BPS is the supplier you can trust with your project.
Our Services Include:
- Guaranteed professional experience – all our renovations are guaranteed for at least 1 year
- Detailed financial budget and written specifications so you know exactly what to expect
- We work alongside and in conjunction with our clients with continuous meetings to keep you up-to-date as well as our dedicated Project Managers keeping you fully informed from the design stage through to completion
- A stress-free experience from start to finish – we focus on finishing your job promptly, to a high standard and within your budget
- We only employ experienced and qualified tradespeople, ensuring your project is always dealt with by professionals
- Fully insured
- We are one company that has the resource and skills for all your renovation and development needs
- Free, no-obligation survey and quote
Why Choose BPS for your Renovation & Development Project?
Our commercial renovation and development solutions cover all aspects of a redevelopment of commercial, industrial and domestic properties. We are experts in the redevelopment of commercial buildings as well as switching commercial buildings for residential use, always following stringent Health & Safety and Building Regulations.
BPS Project Managers
Our project managers will take care of everything for you and keep you up-to-date at every stage of your project. We have executed projects which range from £10,0000 to £3M and we can oversee your whole project, however big or small.
BPS Structural Steelwork and Fabrication Specialists
Our fabricators and steel experts can design and fit a wide range of bespoke items including; mezzanine flooring, handrails and balustrades, portal frame buildings and steel fencing.
BPS Trade Services
From plumbing, heating and electrical installations to roofing, brickwork and rendering, dry lining and decoration and a full range of carpentry services we are able to complete every aspect of your project without the need of employing subcontractors.
If you are planning a Commercial Renovation or Development project for your business in South Wales or the surrounding areas then contact us on 029 2048 4114 and one of our experts will be able to answer any questions you may have or book in your site assessment.