Commercial Plumbing discussed by BPS Facilities Ltd
Commercial Plumbing can be complicated and you should always use a qualified and knowledgeable Commercial Plumbing Business for any installations, repairs and servicing to ensure your plumbing system works effectively and safely. Find out everything you need to know in our Commercial Plumbing FAQ’s.
Commercial Plumbing is complicated and although there are similarities that apply to both residential and commercial plumbing there are differences in the systems used in commercial settings, the design, the experience of working in commercial properties, as well as the knowledge and experience needed to install, repair and maintain a commercial plumbing system.
Most commercial plumbing requirements need the specific knowledge and experience of a commercial plumber which a residential or domestic plumber won’t have.
Commercial boilers have a range, including input of over 70kw net and are suitable to heat larger commercial properties compared to a domestic boiler which is normally less than 70kw net. A commercial boiler will have gas pipework of over 35mm in diameter to ensure the effective and safe running of the boiler so there are big differences when it comes to systems that a commercial plumber will work on, along with the codes for each plumbing job.
A commercial plumber will have the knowledge and experience to work on large boilers, site sewer lines, lift stations, and plumbing used by industrial equipment. Commercial plumbing work is often subject to more testing and inspection than residential plumbing is due to the size of the boiler systems, pipework and sewage lines.
What Qualifications are Needed to be a Plumber and a Commercial Plumber?
Every plumber, whether commercial or residential will have an industry-recognised plumbing and heating qualification; NVQ Level 2 or 3 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating or an NVQ Level 2 or 3 Diploma in Installing and Maintaining Heating Systems, both of which used to be a City and Guilds qualifications. It takes approximately two years to complete Level 2 and or 2 – 5 years if you qualify through an apprenticeship scheme.
An NVQ Level 2 Plumbing Qualification Includes:
Understanding and applying the following:
- Safe working practices
- Communicating with others
- Environmental protection measures
- Scientific principles
- Site preparation and pipework fabrication techniques
- Cold and hot domestic water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Central heating system installation and maintenance techniques
The NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating also teaches a plumber to understand and apply:
- Rainwater system installation and maintenance techniques
- Above ground drainage system installation and maintenance techniques
An NVQ Level 3 Plumbing Qualification Includes:
This is for plumbers who already his qualified in Level 2, has established skills and knowledge and is working with minimal supervision.
There are mandatory units that have to be taken:
- Understanding and carrying out electrical work on plumbing and heating systems and components
- Servicing and maintaining oil firing pressure jet appliances
- Installing, commissioning and handing over ‘active’ solar thermal hot water systems
- Being aware of the requirements to install, commission and handover rainwater harvesting and greywater reuse systems
There are six specific pathways available to choose with the Level 3 qualification:
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating (Gas Fired Warm Air Appliances)
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating (Gas-Fired Water and Central Heating Appliances)
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Heating
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Heating (Gas Fired Warm Air Appliances)
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Heating (Gas Fired Warm Air Appliances)
As with NVQ Level 2, you are required to pass practical and theoretical tests along with workplace assessments.
It can take up to 5 years to achieve Level 3 and on completion, you are officially competent and qualified to work on Commercial Plumbing Systems.
What Settings and Sectors do Commercial Plumbers Work in?
- Colleges & Universities
- Ministry of Defence
- Hospitals & Care Sectors
- Doctors Surgeries
- Community Centres
- Leisure Centres or Complexes
- Historic Buildings
- Utility Sectors
- Factories & Industrial Units
- Hotels & Leisure Facilities
- Retail Centres
- industrial Units
Who should you use for your Commercial Plumbing?
You should always use a Commercial Plumber for your commercial business or property and often owners will use a Facilities Management Company who will be able to supply them with all the trades, skills and qualifications they need for the upkeep of their building or business including; design and installations, maintenance and repairs. This means in an emergency, or if you need a repair or maintenance service for anything in relation to your property then you don’t need to spend time searching for someone suitably qualified and calling around to arrange for quotes and for the work to be completed. A Facilities Management Company will take care of all of this for you from one phone call to them and you will know you can trust them to send one of their suitably qualified trades and team to carry out the work you need doing. These services normally include:
- 24-hour Emergency Callout Service
- Service Contracts
For the following areas:
- Plumbing & Pipework
- Gas Heating
- Air Conditioning & Ventilation
- Electrical Services
- Building and Roofing Maintenance, Repair, Development and Construction
What does Commercial Plumbing & Pipework Work include?
- Gas distribution pipework design and installation
- Heating distribution pipework design and installation
- Pipework fabrication
- Steam and condensate pipework
- Hot and cold water distribution pipework
- Compressed air pipework
- Mild steel and stainless steel pipework
- Plastic pipework systems
- Pipework pressure testing
- Pipework inspections and condition reports
What does Commercial Plumbing Design and Installation in New and Existing Installations include?
- Hot and cold water services
- Above ground drainage
- Sanitary ware installation
- Commercial shower installations
- Hot water storage vessels
- Coldwater boosters
- Water storage tanks
- Plate heat exchangers
- Hot water buffer vessels
- Point of use water heaters
- Solar thermal hot water systems
What Should You Look for in a Commercial Facilities Company?
- A professional facilities company that has been recommended or has excellent customer reviews
- A variation in the qualified services they offer including; Plumbing & Pipework, Gas Heating, Air Conditioning & Ventilation, Electrical Services, Building and Roofing Maintenance, Repair, Development and Construction
- Service Contracts which suit your business and property needs
- A Service Centre who will take your call and arrange for a qualified team member to come and carry out the work or repair that is needed
- A Service Centre which is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Qualified Trades & Engineers available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in case of any emergency
- An Account Manager who will oversee your Service Contract with them
- A friendly and customer-focused facilities company that evaluates your business or property needs and adapts their services to your requirements
About BPS Facilities
BPS Facilities Ltd. is an independent facilities company whose excellent reputation has been built on providing quality maintenance, repair and installation work for Businesses and Commercial properties throughout Wales, the South West of England and the M4 Corridor. We offer planned and reactive building maintenance services to a wide range of customers in a variety of business sectors from our team of professional, qualified, polite and proficient staff. We offer a complete engineering, repair and maintenance service for commercial and industrial companies, 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. One call to our dedicated service centre is all that you need to report an emergency repair, to arrange a maintenance visit, or a design and installation service.
BPS provides great service at fair prices and one of our most important priorities is to offer businesses the best in terms of service and quality. We believe our dedication to customer satisfaction and our fast and efficient services at affordable prices will be the foundation of a long and satisfying working relationship with you.
Health & Safety for our customers and team is a primary focus and priority and we are committed to ensuring our managers and team members receive the latest safety training. We operate and fully comply in accordance with CDM Regulations HSE 2007 with amendments as necessary. We are positively engaged with our customers’ Health & Safety procedures and we work closely with you to encourage and develop safe working practices.
About BPS Plumbing & Pipework Services
Distribution Plumbing & Pipework Repairs & Emergency Repairs
When you have a fault or have concerns with any of your Plumbing or Pipework then our dedicated Service Centre in Cardiff are available to take your call 24-hours a day, 365 days a year and will allocate your job to one of our qualified plumbers. Every emergency call is categorised, allocated and is always completed with full client approval including; detailed recordings of any repairs or remedial work we have completed.
Distribution Plumbing & Pipework Repair & Maintenance Services
We offer fully Planned Repair and Maintenance Service Contracts that will keep your plumbing and pipework running efficiently and safely. A regular maintenance visit from one of our qualified plumbers will prevent issues with your plumbing systems and pipework before they arise. Our Planned Maintenance Contracts are designed around your business or property needs and any work carried out is always completed by one of our qualified Plumbers or Plumbing Teams in line with all Health & Safety regulations. Full Risk Assessment and Method Statements are always provided.
Distribution Plumbing & Pipework Installation
We have extensive and practical comprehensive experience and expertise in the design, installation and maintenance of Distribution Plumbing and Pipework Systems, ranging from smaller systems right up to full plant room system plumbing and piping. We install and manage commercial boiler management systems and these enable our team to pinpoint problems with your heating, plumbing and pipework long before it becomes an issue for you. Our team can keep track of precise faults on your systems, diagnose them and frequently resolve them remotely, saving you time and money. In the event our team are not able to resolve any issues remotely then we will have identified the problem before we arrive, which gives us more of an opportunity to correct it on our first visit to you.
Distribution Pipework Consultancy & Planning Service
If you are considering putting in new plumbing and pipework systems, heating or cooling system then we offer a full consultancy service to advise you on the industries most up to date and state-of-the-art energy-efficient and cost-saving products. Our consultancy team will plan and design in accordance to your businesses or properties requirements and needs and we will project manage it from start to finish, including the decommissioning of any older systems, installation, testing and compliance sign off, along with planned aftercare.
If you would like any information on our Commercial Plumbing and Pipework Repairs, Maintenance, Service or Service Contracts then contact us today on 029 20 484114 and one of our team will be able to answer any questions you may have or arrange an appointment for you.